Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Transferring Film to DV

  1. #1
    Inactive Member sise's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2000
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    i just wanted to know where i could send my film to be transferred to DV or miniDV and have a good job done. a relatively cheap place would be nice too.

    in addition, when is it necessary to transfer film to dv - before or after editing?

    thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would go to CinePost in Atlanta for the transfer. I think that they might go to MiniDv(in my opinion there are better video formats). They do RANK transfers for Super8 which are more money but very nice. I am not to sure about cheaper transfer houses. I would transfer all your work to tape first. Then work on the editing. As for and Editor try looking up one at the film coalition. Most big cities have one. Good luck and email me if you have any more questions.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member atomasu's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2000
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Does anyone know how the DVcam format compares to MiniDV, D5, BetaSP, any other formats in terms of resolution (DPI)? A provider in Melbourne, VIC, Australia will do s8 -> DVcam for A$15/50ft.

    Cheers,
    Callum

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    DVCam is better than MiniDv. However it does not even come close to BetaSP, DigiBeta or D5 those are all very durable broadcast formats. Where as DVCam and MiniDv should really only be used to gather the image then bumped up to something better.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    care to explain why minidv "doesn't even come close to beta sp"? and if you're really suggesting that a "bump up" from minidv to beta sp would improve anything, i'm completely lost.

    anyway, if we're talking resolution, minidv, d8 and dvcam are exactly the same (they're the same in every aspect except the tape format actually) and they have approximately the same resolution as beta sp (slightly higher in luma and slightly lower in chroma). minidv, d8 and dvcam all have slight problems with compression artifacts, but beta sp is an analog format and thus has to take at least one loss of generations when you edit it. if you have to choose between these four formats, chose the one that is more convenient to you as far as editing equipment goes. i'm pretty sure nobody would ever be able to tell the difference in quality.

    (notice how i left d5 out? it's because i've never used it)

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have shot some things on MiniDV for a doc that failed(that is another story). The reason I bumped up to BetaSP was the fact that it supports timecode MiniDV doesn't. Also BetaSp while it is analog holds its quality longer than the 1/4" digital formats. I had MiniDV tapes start to break down after playing the four times!!! I understand that not all people have access to BetaSp of DigiBeta. However, if at all possible try to get on to a professional format when ever possible since they are made to take the abuse that consumer/prosumer equipment and formats can't. BetaSP is still more durable overall but more importantly is still an industry standard.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Hanthx's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 27th, 2000
    Posts
    420
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I am curious, my teacher said that D16 is format for which filmmakers (professional) transfer their footage to. Is D16 the same quality as Betasp? Or is the compression scheme different. Or is uncompressed?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    nigel: ok, time code and durability is important. and i agree that in a professional environment, beta sp works better, but i wouldn't say that makes it a better format for most people. the thing is, most people on this board (i assume) who edit video, does so on their computers, thus eliminating the need for "true" smtp tc and playing the tape over and over again. the only reason to have time code in this situation is for batch capturing i guess, and the dv tc is more than good enough for that.

    by the way, beta sp isn't used that much anymore, and dv is actually breaking ground in the professional world every day.

    hanthx: beta sp is not a digital format and is not compressed. never heard of d16.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    BetaSp is losing ground I will admit that especially when you are talking about shooting(although Buena Vista Social Club was Beta)--However I disagree that it is not an industry standard any large posthouse will have BetaSP decks. I have yet to find MiniDV on a large scale(within the industry). I am sorry for pushing my format opinions. However, I work on these formats and that is what I know--thus that is all I feel I can comment on. I would like to get more of my stuff transfered to DigiBeta and D5 as of now my posthouse does not do that.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Hanthx's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 27th, 2000
    Posts
    420
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I meant to say digital betacam. I believe it uses a 1/2 inch tape, and is a uncompressed digital signal. D16 is supposed to be Digital Film Format, and allows for transfer of film. But this is supposed to be a coming attraction to the market. There are so many D formats. Ranging from D3-D7 and then D16. Going to film school, you get the inside scoop first.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •